I love the cold winter weather. I’m not a fan of the snow on the roads, but the cold never phases me; I guess, living in Canada for the past 30 years will do that to you.
The cold, fresh air in the winter makes my skin glow and my makeup stays put all day. But it does make my face extremely dry. I’ve bought expensive creams and serums to aid with the dry skin; nothing seems to work as good as my household remedies. So here, I’m giving you my best tested home remedy to soothe winter skin.
This is a quick and easy remedy that will allow you to conveniently find all the ingredients right in your fridge/cupboard or local grocery store.
The first and most important of all: honey. Honey has tons of healing properties. It’s known as a natural antibiotic and can be used as an anti-inflammatory and moisturizing miracle worker.
Yogurt has lactic acid in it; which will help dissolve dead skin and tighten pores. It’s also cool and applying yogurt on your face just gives your skin a refreshing feeling.
Turmeric will help fight acne and heal scars. This ingredient also has anti-inflammatory properties which will target pores and calm redness in skin.
Mix the three ingredients together and you’ve got a magic mask to deal with all the cold, windy days of winter. Plus, you’re skin will feel refreshed, smooth and soft and love you for this magic potion.
- 1-2 tbsp yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Mix ingredients together
- Apply with a brush or fingers evenly on face and neck. You can even apply the mixture to your hair if you have time to wash your hair; otherwise stick to applying it to your face only.
- Leave on for 20-25 minutes or until mixture dries on your skin
- Wet hands with lukewarm water and rub on face in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes. This will give your skin a good massage and exfoliate dead skin. Make sure to use gentle circular motions as you don’t want to aggravate the skin.
- Rinse off with cool water
- Apply a light moisturizer, if needed. I personally don’t need it after this mask as it leaves my skin feeling hydrated and smooth.
- The next morning, I apply Vaseline to my t-zone and lips and my moisturizer on the rest of my face. The Vaseline creates a barrier for my sensitive area against the cold winter air. Plus, applying a light coat of Vaseline helps my makeup go on smoother.
Try this mask at least once or twice a week depending on how much healing and refreshing your skin needs.
Don’t forget to let me know how amazing your skin feels after trying this or share your remedies with me and get featured on my blog (I’m always looking for new people to feature).
Xoxo ~ Tamana