No matter what has happened in my life. No matter what challenge or struggle I may be going through. No matter how hard life has beaten me down. There has, is and always will be one person that stands firm beside me to raise me back up.
She’s been my strength when I couldn’t get up on my own. She’s been my guide when I was lost. She’s been my inspiration when I was scared. She’s been my wisdom when I was confused. She’s even been my banker when I was broke.
She’s my mother.
We take for granted the love our mothers give us and feel for us. But their love is nothing less than a miracle in disguise. My mother is a my miracle. She’s the blessing that has stood by my side since before I could even understand the importance of her love and strength.
Even now, she continues to hold my hand through my difficult times and struggles.
So, I’m honouring her today, as I do everyday. But I called her today to say thank you for everything she is and does for me.
Have you said thank you to your mom recently? Maybe it’s time to give her a call and let her know how special she is to you. You’ll be surprised how emotional and happy she will be.
Happy Thursday! I hope all of you are having a good week. My week is going by, as are my days. I’m a full blown house-wife these days and part of me is enjoying the lack of commitment to get up in the morning and go to work. But the other part of me is also bored of being home all day, cooking and cleaning. Don’t get me wrong, all the power to all the stay-at-home moms/dads and housewives. But it’s just a bit frustrating for me and boring. I start getting depressed throughout the day and try to keep myself busy but end up procrastinating to do anything meaningful, aside from the daily chores.
I have been applying to jobs; however, secretly am also hoping to win the lottery, so I don’t have to work at all. Ridiculous, isn’t it! To be honest, I enjoyed going back to college last year and having to only worry about getting my assignments done and good marks. But its tough studying and living on a single income; which is why I need to find a job as soon as possible.
Aside from the job hunt, nothing else exciting to tell all of you. As you’ve noticed I’ve started posting more consistently these days; that was one of my resolutions/goals this year: to deliver more regular content, more frequently. I will post the one off stuff, as I always do. However, I will be writing more about the topics I am passionate about, more frequently: mommy stuff, recipes, current life status’, restaurant diaries and beauty/life hacks.
So, stay tuned for more consistent content and if there is anything you guys or gals want me to write about, please let me know in the comments below! Until then, have a blessed week and stay warm.
Xoxo ~ Tamana
Little Miss. Nid got a Baby Alive doll for Christmas from her grandparents and aunt and has complained that Baby Alive aka Emma hasn’t had a birthday yet and is zero years old.
For the past few days I’ve put it off. But was instructed this morning to make sure the dining table was clean. Being the obedient mother that I am, I went with it; I cleared the table, brought out Barbie, Elsa and Anna and placed plates, cups and napkins on the table. I even stitched “Emma” a new dress for her big day.
After the little missy returned home from school, we had a cookies and milk birthday party for Emma. We sang her the birthday song and even cut a cookie-tower cake.
I don’t particularly like birthday parties during week, but thankfully the guests quickly ate their treats and went off to play.
I know it’s kind of hilarious but when the missy wants a birthday party, you have to give her “baby girl” a birthday party.
Needless to say, the child in me awoke today and I got a big hug and kiss as a thank you, and the biggest smile; which is what it’s all about at the end of the day, isn’t it?
Enjoy the rest of your week and let the child in you come out and play a little too! Xoxo
Indian people love their tea-time snacks and appetizers and in my house we’re as Indian as it gets; especially when it comes to food. Of course, yours truly enjoys experimenting with different recipes and so, I’ve been making tons of Indian snacks during the holidays.
But a staple item in most households is our dhaniya-pudinay ki chutney (mint-coriander chutney). This savoury chutney goes with everything! You can make it to dip snacks and appetizers in, or out it in your raita (yogurt side dish) or eat it with roti or parathas and even enjoy it on top biryani. It’s like ketchup in the modern world.
And of course, I have my mother’s recipe here to share with all of you.
Here’s how you make a delicious and savoury coriander and mint chutney to go with all your appetizers and snacks.
- 2 cups roughly chopped coriander
- 2 cups roughly chopped mint
- 2-3 green chillies
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp black salt (kala namak) or regular salt
- Blender or mortar and pestle
Here’s what you do:
- Wash and roughly chop green chillies, coriander and mint leaves
- If you have a mortar and pestle, you can mash all the ingredients in that. But I’m not so traditional, so I used a blender
- Blend all ingredients for 1-2 minutes or until a thick paste is made
- At this time, you can adjust the liquidity consistency to your preference. We like a thick chutney so I only add a couple of tablespoons of water but you can add more if you want your chutney liquidity
- Pour into a glass jar and refrigerate
- Serve cold with your favourite snacks and appetizers
One of the most precious moments caught on camera was of my love and me, holding pinky fingers as we slept.
I found this photo on my phone a few days ago; it must have been from the night when she got in trouble from me and cried herself to sleep.
We had a rough day, the two of us, and when it was bedtime, I lay there beside her explaining how words and actions can hurt even mommy and daddy’s feelings. Because we didn’t cry, it didn’t mean that we weren’t hurt.
She was sorry and empathetic. She grabbed my pinky finger and pinky swore to never hurt me or her daddy again. I kissed her forehead and told her it would be alright as long as we all respected and loved each other.
By the time I was done talking, silence had fallen, her tears had dried up and she was peacefully asleep with her pinky finger locked into mine. I soon fell asleep not removing my finger from hers and when I awoke this photo was on my phone.
Daddy must have come in after we fell asleep and captured this moment for me to cherish.
One of the sweetest moments indeed…
I made a small list of resolutions a couple of days ago. I haven’t made any for the past few years but this year there are a few things I need to accomplish; what better way to start towards finishing them than make a list and post it online? Many of these things, except one (I’ll get to it shortly), are resolutions or goals I set for myself often and of course, like many people, I never complete them. But I’ve given it a lot of thought and enough is enough; I need to stop procrastinating and being lazy and get them done. Here’s my list in no particular priority.
- Lose 55 lbs. – my brother is getting married next August/September and I’d like to be healthier and slimmer than I am now, so that I can wear all my beautiful Indian outfits without feeling insecure and uncomfortable. This has been a long time resolution and goal of mine but I have been lazy and unfocused to actually accomplish it, until now. I’ve already begun exercising every other day for at least 10 minutes a day. I know it’s not enough but I believe if I start slow with manageable timings, I’ll go further with losing the weight and becoming fitter.
- Save $10,000 – as you all know, we’ve gone through a financial rough-patch recently and that’s mainly because we had barely any savings in our account. By the end of year, I’d like to have at least $10,000 saved up in my bank account, so that we don’t have to struggle the next time we’re on a bumpy road in life. Hopefully, we don’t hit anymore bumps and can save this money as an eventual down payment towards our own house one day.
- Save $1000 for Christmas 2018 – I love Christmas and love to bake, make tons of treats and shower my loved ones with gifts. But when you’re pinching pennies just to get by, it’s nearly impossible to have money left to buy presents or sufficient groceries to make all those treats. My goal is to save $1,000 by next December aside from the above mentioned savings. This $1,000 will be solely spent on anything and everything Christmas/holidays related. So, the idea is to save $20 a week; which will bring us slightly under a $1,000 by the beginning of December.
- Visit India – no one in Dev’s family has met Nid and they’ve constantly been inviting us down to come visit. So, we’re hoping to go to India by next Diwali. Dev really misses celebrating Diwali in India, he misses all the extravagance, food, fireworks and family get togethers. Hopefully, our work schedules will allow us to take enough time off.
- Go on an all-inclusive vacation – neither Dev or I have gone on an all-inclusive vacation and we’d love to see some of the Caribbean islands and have a week to just relax, drink and eat.
- Complete prerequisites for the RPN program – I am undecided whether I want to work towards becoming an Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Practical Nurse (RPN). The RN program runs 4 years and the RPN for 2 years. But the prerequisites for each course are intensive and I’ll need at least four to six months to complete all to align myself to take the course when I’m ready. But going back to school full-time means I’ll only be able to work part-time and I’m not sure if Dev would be okay with me going back to school again or not. That’s a conversation I’ll have to have with him over the next few days.
- Write on my blog more frequently – the past year or so I’ve become so busy in life that I’ve forgotten to focus on my passion; which is this blog. So, I’ll be writing more frequently this year and will write some regular posts about topics most important to me, like: mommy life, restaurant reviews, recipe of the month and some about inspirational people I meet along my day-to-day life.
I’ll let you know how my progress towards these goals are going and the conversation with Dev regarding going back to school. Stay tuned.
Do provide your inspiration, prayers and any tips or tricks and share your resolutions as well.
Happy New Year! Hope your year kicks off with a bang. ~Tamana
The New Year is upon us and I’m really hoping this year is better than the one that just finished. The past year was extremely busy and stressful. We went through a lot of ups and downs and I’m completely over all the drama and craziness.
Most years I don’t set resolutions for myself because I never complete any of them. But this year, I have a bunch of things on my list that I want to accomplish and I am more determined than ever. I’ll have my resolutions list posted tomorrow for all of you to read and to share your resolutions with me.
For today, enjoy the first day of the New Year! I hope the Lord blesses you with everything you need and want this year and you accomplish everything you strive to do.
Happy 2018, my lovelies! ~Tamana